Weekly Poll: Getting on camera

Posted March 29, 2023 in

Stephanie Baiocchi

When there's a lot to do, do the hardest thing first

What's the most challenging part of getting your team or yourself on camera?

React with your answer and feel free to explain why in the comments!

Heart ❤️ I get so nervous in front of the camera

Thumbs Up 👍 I'm struggling to convince my team to get on camera

Curious 🤔 I do too many takes because I want it to be perfect

Celebrate 🥳 I love being on camera! I'll share my tips in the comments.

Is it something else? Let us know in the comments.
1 1
User Profile

Log in to leave a comment or

Sign Up for Free
Becca Manganello
I definitely do WAY too many takes sometimes because I want it to be perfect 😬
Love  •  
1 1
Stephanie Baiocchi
Becca Manganello  I've seen you do it! haha one take or die over here I don't have time for re-dos ;) HOWEVER there's always room for second (or third) takes on more scripted videos! In my 1:1 videos I go with v1 though.
Becca Manganello
Stephanie Baiocchi  - HAHA I have gotten WAYYYY better with doing that WAYYYY less. Definitely agree with the scripted videos as well! 
Kim Kovelle
I've tried to embrace Marcus' theory of "don't stop." 60% of the time I do just that. The other 40%, I get 30 seconds or 1 minute in and just need to redo it. Usually that's because I totally forgot something or feel like my energy is off-kilter. I've gotten to a point where I "know" when I need to restart pretty quick, so not too much time lost. Two takes is usually my max. It's been a good exercise in letting go of perfection.

I try to have a few talking points before I go in — basic bullets. My videos are mostly for in-house content announcements, so the "production" stakes are lower. But I find a little prep, even if it's only a few mins, helps me.

I think it's hard for most people to be on camera. It can feel unnatural and stressful. For me, doing them weekly has helped (as I like to say, yes, I've done theater, but the kind where you memorize a script — very different than this!). I've had great ones and "meh" ones, but I feel like it's just about being personable and being yourself — including "ums," catching/rephrasing things, occasional awkward pauses, etc. It's humanizing! And it helps others see you don't have to be perfect to do this. (Also, pro tip: Vidyard has a pause button. Use it if you need to!)

Claire Charlton Do you have any thoughts on this? You do lots of videos for our sponsored content clients! 
Love  •  
2 2
1 Comment
Stephanie Baiocchi
Kim Kovelle a little bit of "don't stop" is great! So is knowing when to call it and just start over :) it's definitely good to let go of perfection and embrace authenticity! 
I always do some basic bullets or I'll forget completely! But yes being personable is key here not being perfect! AND YES use that pause button! Great reminders, Kim. Thanks for sharing! 
Love  •  
1 1
Claire Charlton
Kim Kovelle You do a phenomenal job of creating videos ... and it helps to know your audience, which you definitely do. 

Pre-pandemic, I was a longtime member of Toastmasters and I will say that some public speaking experience really helps with the little things, including knowing what you want to say, staying focused and watching the "ums" and "ahs," which, while humanizing, can also derail you. 

During each Toastmasters speech you give, there's a person assigned to counting how many filler words you use and that is an incentive to slow down, think about what you are saying and pause instead of saying "um." The pauses aren't nearly as long as you think they are! 

You don't have to commit to a Toastmasters club to use a few of the basic techniques. I like to pretend the camera is the actual person I'm talking to and make as much eye contact as possible (without being creepy). In other words, I try to "humanize" the camera.

Above all else, practice. Look for reasons to make a video. Make videos even when you don't think you need to. And don't be too hard on yourself! Be authentic. :-) 
Love  •  
3 3

Read next