Google's May 2021 algorithm update is a very, very big deal

Connor DeLaney

"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."

Follow
Liz Moorehead did a great write-up on what you can expect come May from Google's next update. While some are saying this next update won't be a big deal, she is saying otherwise. With the new page metrics coming out for Core Web Vitals, you have until May to get those issues sorted until they significantly damage your performance on the world's number one search engine!

Here's a link to the full article:
2 1 3
3 Comments
User Profile

Kaitlyn Pintarich
This is so great! Thank you for creating this post  Liz Moorehead  !
Love  •  
2 2
Liz Moorehead
You're so welcome! My hope is that it demystified what's happening. I hate when big updates are so laden with jargon that it's impossible to really understand what the update is without some sort of Rosetta Stone.
Love  •  
1 1 2
Liz Moorehead
Connor DeLaney That's what's so frustrating about people saying it's not a big deal. 

For those businesses that have spent the past year worrying about keeping the lights on, rather than working with developers to make sure their site is stable, site speed is high, page load time is low, and so on, "optimized page experience" has understandably not been top of mind.

It's the kind of update where you may not realize you're screwed until it's already too late, so to downplay an update where some simple proactive action can seriously minimize any hits a business might take in traffic is baffling to me.

Also, if it wasn't such a big deal, they wouldn't have been announcing it way, way, way in advance. They even mentioned in one of their updates (either in May or November?) that they always give plenty of advanced notice for "major" updates that will have a lot of impact.
Love  •  
1 1