First 100 days

Posted June 25, 2021 in
Agencies Agencies
Hey, I'm a marketing manager about to embark on a more senior post (head of marketing) at an ecommerce agency. I would love to hear from seasoned agency leaders/marketers what you advise should be the key priorities/achievements in my first 100 days?

Thanks in advance!
4 2 6
6 Comments
User Profile

Tom DiScipio
First... a HUGE congrats on your new role! 🎉

Second, here are a few thoughts (in no particular order):
  • Read (or re-read) "5 Dysfunctions of a Team" and have your team read it with you.
  • Align with other company leaders on the Vision of the organization. Where are they planning to be in 3 months, 6 months, 1-year, 3-years, etc? Sales, revenue, profit, etc. Document that for your team and assure they understand that Vision as well as you do.
  • Memorize verbatim the company's core purpose, mission statement and core values. Help your team to do the same.
  • Identify and commit to the 3 - 5 performance metrics that would determine if you had a good week or a bad week / a good month or a bad month. Begin measuring them by the beginning of your second month in the role. Be able to show data by end of the third month (even if it isn't great). Assure these line up and influence the high-level, company targets.
  • Proactively set up your regular 1-1s and first performance review with your manager
  • Form a relationship with your sales team. Interview them and document their biggest blockers to closing deals along with the questions they get asked the most in the sales process. Develop one or two priorities around addressing those pains and creating content to save them time.
  • Listen to as many customer calls as you can, at least one or two per week. Join calls with your service delivery team and sales team to understand what's driving your customers to make decisions.
  • DON'T write out a "12-month Marketing Plan" or other documents that require hours and hours of work. Instead, identify 3 - 5 priorities that can be accomplished within a 3-month time frame. Show some small wins and forward-progress early on.
  • Audit your existing website and write a list of 20 things that can be improved. Begin with the 20% of those things that will drive 80% of the results.

I'm sure there's a bunch more that others can add here. The overall advice from me is to execute. All to often, I hear stories of CMOs joining new companies and they get stuck in strategy-land with no real results to speak of. Show the small wins early on, build the trust, and then make bigger bets as you go on.

Hope this helps, Annee, and good luck on your first 100 days!
Love  •  
6 6
Annee Sian
Thank you so much for these pearls Tom! The great news is my list isn't a million miles away from this... but it always helps to get some validation. Book is ordered too! Will keep you posted and thanks again.
Love  •  
1 1
Connor DeLaney
Clodagh Higgins   Ranya Barakat   Jan Beery   Ruben Aguirre  would love to hear what you'd recommend for Annee!
Love  •  
1 1
Ruben Aguirre
Tom shared some amazing feedback. Not a lot that I would add to the list:

1. Once you've ID'd the top 3-5 metrics, refine that further and zero in on the single most important one of those in terms of energy/tracking/projects. Which of the 3-5 is your lead domino, focus on that one a lot.   

2. Focus focus focus your time and efforts on the things that'll move the needle, and remind the higher ups during your 1-1s that you're focusing on the few critical things. The more visionary the leadership, the more they need their team to remind them how what you are working on during the day to day is focused on the big picture they set. Otherwise, you'll constantly be starting over on a million things. The crazy leaders will blame you and churn you, the smart ones will at least admit to themselves that you're correct and tend to leave you alone so you can do your job. 
Love  •  
3 3
Annee Sian
Such sage advice there too Ruben, thank you. Particularly identifying that domino KPI. If you or anyone else has any insight into what that killer KPI could be - particularly in the demand gen sphere - I'm all ears. 
Love  •  
1 1
Connor DeLaney
Hey  Annee Sian Really curious what updates you may have as you have jumped into your new role! Have you laid out the priorities you're looking to achieve in those first 100 days?

More from this community