How much assignment selling is too much assignment selling?

Posted July 17, 2020 in
Sales Sales
Sending the right amount of homework is something I struggle with a lot, often I ask myself am I sending too much or not enough. 

In most follow-ups, I send 4-6 articles and 1 - 2 videos. The time commitment is about 45 - 60mins. I have never heard someone say it was too much, but sometimes I have people that do none of the homework, and we end up canceling the meeting to never hear from them again.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb they follow or ever heard a prospect say "that is overwhelming." 

I would love to hear what everyone else is doing and if anyone as found a perfect formula.
User Profile

Connor DeLaney
Hey David Little ! Bit of a late response, but thought this was a very interesting debacle you shared here. Something I have been thinking about lately is the concept of the need to complete vs supporting materials.

For example: if you assign 8 pieces of content, they may only need to complete 2-3 of those in order to have a really successful follow up discussion with you later on. With this in mind, perhaps give them a must complete and additional resources section in your follow up. 

With these titles, you are able to say something like, "In order for us to have a  successful discussion, you will need to check out these couple resources... On top of this, if you are feeling extra motivated, here are some additional resources you may find interesting." This trick makes them feel less overwhelmed by saying it won't take long to complete those couple things compared to doing all of them while still challenging them by saying here's more if you want it/can handle it. 

I know this was a ramble, but I hope it was helpful. If you try it out, please let me know what your feedback is! 
Love  •  
2 2
Connor DeLaney
Hey David Little ! Bit of a late response, but thought this was a very interesting debacle you shared here. Something I have been thinking about lately is the concept of the need to complete vs supporting materials.

For example: if you assign 8 pieces of content, they may only need to complete 2-3 of those in order to have a really successful follow up discussion with you later on. With this in mind, perhaps give them a must complete and additional resources section in your follow up. 

With these titles, you are able to say something like, "In order for us to have a  successful discussion, you will need to check out these couple resources... On top of this, if you are feeling extra motivated, here are some additional resources you may find interesting." This trick makes them feel less overwhelmed by saying it won't take long to complete those couple things compared to doing all of them while still challenging them by saying here's more if you want it/can handle it. 

I know this was a ramble, but I hope it was helpful. If you try it out, please let me know what your feedback is! 
Love  •  
2 2

More from this community