How do you want to respond to change at work?

Posted December 1, 2020 in
IMPACT+ HQ IMPACT+ HQ

Chris Marr

Digital Sales and Marketing Coach at IMPACT

Follow
"Change happens slowly and then all at once" - Kevin Kelly, Futurist.

Working in a fast-paced industry (marketing & sales) with a rapidly evolving organisation (IMPACT) requires a measured temperament for change.

Like me, I’m sure you’ve reacted to change in a way that doesn’t align with your values and principles.

Self-awareness in these moments is how we learn to respond better to new ideas.

For more context, I've recorded this video just for y'all here at IMPACT+...

Here are my personal lessons on change at work:

1. While a few things are changing, most things stay the same
  2. Everything is born from change and most change will be good for me
  3. I get to choose how and when change affects me
  4. Most change happens slowly over time - It’s not as immediate as I first think
  5. Don’t act and behave like the change is actually happening when it’s only ideas that are being discussed
  6. If I try to protect myself I will stifle good ideas
  7. Some change won’t affect me at all, and certainly not as much as I think
  8. I have more control over how change affects me and my work than I first think
  9. I only have control over how I respond. I cannot control everything
  10. There’s always the possibility that I could be wrong.
  11. It’s not about me

Writing these statements has helped me to appreciate and accept my role in change at work.

Ultimately, I can either lead and shape the changes that take place, or be dragged along.

I know which I’d prefer.

You? 👇🏻
7 7
2 Comments
User Profile

Jolie Higazi
It's a simple reminder, but a valuable one that "It's not about me." It's easy to internalize changes in processes or procedures as "better" or "worse" for me and my work-- something that is becoming more or less difficult for me to do. 

But as you say, it's worth taking a step back-- it's not about me, it's about the clients I serve, the team I serve them alongside of, and the ultimate mission that's at hand with my work. 

With that perspective, I can try to lean in and embrace some more of the changing ways of doing things, even if there's a learning curve, because it's ultimately moving me in the direction I need to go to best help my clients.
Love  •  
2 2

More from this community