CMO's report that 29% of work previously carried out by agencies has moved in-house in just the last 12-months alone...

Posted July 20, 2021 in
IMPACT+ HQ IMPACT+ HQ

Connor DeLaney

"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."

Follow
WOW! Talk about a shift in industries. I know with They Ask, You Answer in place we preach taking work in-house but it's fascinating how quickly things have shifted over the last calendar year or so.

A couple of quotes that stood out to me (and Liz Moorehead 😉 ) -

“‘Albeit a small dip from 23.7% in 2020 to 23% in 2021, this continual change indicates significant in-housing activity, as CMOs reimagine the capabilities that can be supported by their internal teams,’ added [Ewan McIntyre, co-chief of research and vice president analyst in the Gartner for Marketers practice].

“CMOs report that 29% of work previously carried out by agencies has moved in-house in just the last 12-months alone. The focus of in-housing is changing as well – with brand strategy, innovation and technology, and marketing strategy development making up the top three capabilities areas CMOs are moving to internal teams...
And by 2022, all other CMOs will follow suit.

You can check out the full report here: “The State of Marketing Budgets in 2021: Insights from Gartner’s Annual CMO Spend Survey.”

What are your takeaways from this report? Does your organization follow the trend? 
1 1 2
3 Comments
User Profile

Dale Pease
It's interesting to me that 50 years ago every company of a certain size had an in-house marketing team. Then they began outsourcing. In many ways outsourcing makes sense (only pay for what you need. Get experts with a great deal of experience. etc...) But, I think, what companies have started to discover is nobody will service them as well as in-house people will. Agencies have many clients, so they can't focus very well. It has turned into basically two different scenarios: 1. companies pay a retainer fee and constantly wonder if they are getting their money's worth, or 2. pay by the hour, then start to feel nickel and dimed. It gets tiring. So you end up jumping around between agencies.
Love  •  
2 2

More from this community